Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Pride



Every year I have made it a goal for myself to attend at least one pride festival somewhere.  This year I thought I may have to go back on that promise because of where I moved to (the middle of boring) but alas, I found a way!  On Friday afternoon I realized that the next day was Columbus' Pride and I immediately thought I couldn't go because I had to work saturday night.  However, one of my many New Year's Resolutions this year was to travel more and be spontaneous.  Now when I say travel, I don't mean to Europe or the West Coast, just around the midwest in general.  So I found my friend Scott to go with me and the plans were set.

Saturday morning we left around 10am and found ourself traveling in a gloomy and dreary world.  I wore a cute outfit (in my opinion) and some new sunglasses and was feeling good about myself.  We get to Columbus and I immediately fall in love with the city!  The city scape was beautiful and the town was clean (for a bigger city).  I have to admit, growing up only an hour from Columbus, I had only been there once during a 5th grade field trip so I really had no recollection of the city what so ever.  After parking and walking around High Street for a while, we found a spot amongst the masses and waited patiently for the parade to start.

At noon sharp, the clouds broke and the sun came blaring out.  It felt good at first but then the heat became oppressive.  For some reason all I could think of were the drag queens and how horrible they must've been.  I thought "those poor drag queens with all that makeup and clothes on," yet they all showed their pride and made for a great parade!  During the parade though, a group of larger girls came stomping in next to us, literally stampeding their way into the crowd.  They would try to strike up conversations with me and my friend but one thing I do not like are pushy people.  Not only did they push their way by us, but they pushed their way into our conversation and that I do not like!  Also, I get uncomfortable around butch lesbians, don't ask why, I just do!  Anyways, here was a conversation they had with me after a float went by throwing t-shirts at people.

Me: "Ugh, I don't want this State Farm Insurance t-shirt.  It's huge anyways."
Scott: "Just throw it."
Large Lesbian #1: "OH!  What size is it."
Me: "Ummmmm 2XL."
Large Lesbian #2: "That's my size" (Grabbing it out of my hands)
Me: "Yes, your welcome."
Large Lesbian #2: "I can wear this to work."

I did not imply into where she worked or tell her that nothing is good about being a size 2XL...

After the parade we made our way to the park and immediately consumed a huge sweet tea.  By this time my neck was as red as a cherry and my shirt was starting to get wet from all of the sweat.  My friend and I walked around the parade and met up with a friend of mine from Indy and then made our way home since I had to work.  I was sad to leave and was surprised that I was sad.  I literally fell in love with that city this weekend, not to mention, there were so very good looking guys there.

All in all I had an amazing time in Columbus.  I was impulsive and achieved a New Years Resolution, explored a new city, and got a rockin farmers tan!  Can't complain about that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment