Friday, July 2, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Things

Well I have my mac back and couldn't be happier!  I will never use a PC willingly again!  As I sit here reading my favorite blogs, drinking my coffee, and waking up; I am also doing one of my favorite things which only happens for two weeks out of the year, watching Wimbledon!!!

I am a huge tennis fan and avid tennis player for the past 11 years of my life.  For the past twelve summers, the last week of June and first week of July you'll find me up at 8am every day to watch tennis for 9 hours. It's a lasting memory for me every summer.  I think of great matches that have happened, awesome comebacks, and takes me back to my junior days when I didn't have a care in the world.  Perhaps one of the reasons why I love this tournament so much is because my favorites always do well here.  I am speaking of the Williams sisters and Roger Federer!  I have been a fan of them since the beginning, before they were dominate and before they won everything.

In the summer of '99, I was bored and had nothing to do.  My parents used to own a concession stand at a local pool so before then, my summers were spent at the pool all day.  They gave it up in 98 and the next summer I found myself extremely bored.  While I was trying to cure my boredom, I happened to take interest in Wimbledon which I noticed had been on tv for a while.  My interest grew and finally saw a match between Venus and Steffi Graf.  It was awesome, I was so excited for something I had no idea about (kinda like how I became obsessed with Curling this year in Vancouver even though I had no idea how to play or what was going on).

Venus ended up loosing to Graf and the next day I had my mom take me to our local tennis club and signed up for lessons and from there on out, I never looked back.  I won my first tournament 4 months later and by the following summer I was in the advanced level group at my club.  I was addicted when I was younger, following scores online, watching it on tv everywhere, and even reading 'Venus Envy' by Jon Wertheim.  I literally became a student of the game, learning the history, past champions, and studying technique religiously.  I became quite good quite quickly.  I made some of my best friends from tennis and never thought I would be playing the game and enjoying it now.

Tennis also helped me go to college.  I received a scholarship to play and may have been one of the best decisions of my life.  My team was awesome and was the best four years of my life.  I had a great college career winning two conference titles and making the schools honorary champions board.

No wonder Wimbledon holds a special part in my heart, it was where my life began almost.  Before that I had no hobby, no drive, no ambition (even as a 12 year old) and was actually pretty lazy.  I will forever wake up at 8am for two weeks straight (besides the middle sunday) to watch my favorite tournament and reminisce about all the great things that came from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment