Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Meaning of Texts

Ahhh yes, text messaging...the official language of gays.  We all are guilty of all of these things I will be talking about and we all obsess over this language.  I'm going to get corny here for a second, but Pink really nails my mindset when she sings "Have you ever hated yourself for staring at the phone?  Your whole life waiting on the ring to prove you're not alone."  First and foremost, I do not understand people who live with their phone attached to their hand.  You know who I am talking about, those guys at a party or in the club who are constantly texting someone and occasionally pulling their head up to say "OMG so-and-so just texted me and said....." Like really?!?!  Omg I can't believe you think you're awesome because you don't pay attention because you have so many friends that you have to constantly text.

Next we all our guilty of and annoys me the most.  When you text someone and don't get a response forever and finally you say somehow, "did you get my text?"  What do they respond with.... "no i didn't get it??"  WRONG.  Never ever ever ever do you not get a text.  Ok maybe with ATT do you not get them right away or whatever, but you never not receive a text.  I'm sorry, but that drives me crazy.  One of my pet peeves is when people ignore you for no reason no matter what the situation is, so this one really irks me...

My next texting offense I want to address is over-texting.  Texting entire conversations which should be communicated on the phone irks me beyond belief.  Then the person will think I'm mad or disinterested in them and they ask "you don't wanna talk?"  No, I don't wanna text entire conversations for a half hour...  Also, If you wanna make plans, don't text out the details, call the person!

What I also hate about texting is how obsessed we become with it.  Whenever your phone chimes, we all have that one person we wish it was, but never is :(  Here's a dramatic story for you that affected my texting habits.  My junior year of college I was dumped by text message at 2am.  Not just a text message, one so long that it took 3 texts to come through, each coming 5 min apart.  So the first part of the text I get a you're dumped, the 2nd one is why I got dumped, and the third one saying I wanna see you tomorrow.  Ok, 1. dump me the next day in person. 2. don't wake me up to dump me.  3. F-off.  I didn't sleep the rest of the night obviously and for about the next year, I turned my phone off at night so I wouldn't get woken up with bad news again :(

Although I'm complaining about these things, I'm guilty of them too.  I'm guilty of being pushy with guys I like, distancing myself from one's I don't, and obsessing over every text I get.  Truth be told, I want a phone cleanse, a couple days without a cell phone, no texting, calling, grinding ;), facebooking, etc... Perhaps soon I will try it, but until then, I think I'll continue to fall into all these categories (except the over-texter!)

Text y'all later

No comments:

Post a Comment